• Interviews
    • Yearly Top Tens
Menu

World of Reel

Street Address
City, State, Zip
Phone Number
Home
IMG_6163.webp
Lukas Dhont’s ‘Coward’ Acquired by MUBI After Cannes Premiere
IMG_6160.webp
Cannes Leak Has Narrowed the Palme d’Or Race to Eight Films
IMG_6146.jpeg
‘The Black Ball’ Sells to Netflix for $5M+ After Multi-Studio Bidding War [Cannes]
IMG_6158.jpeg
Zach Cregger Was “So Impressed” by “Obsession”— Hits +29% in Second Weekend, Might Become Only Fourth in History to Make $100M on a Budget Under $1M
IMG_6155.jpeg
Michael Mann’s ‘Heat 2’ to Shoot From September 2026-March 2027
Featured
Capture.PNG
August 19, 2019
3-Hour ‘Midsommar' Director's Cut Screened in NYC
August 19, 2019

This year’s 12th edition of the Scary Movies festival at Film at Lincoln Center premiered Ari Aster’s extended version of “Midsommar” this past Saturday.

August 19, 2019

World of Reel

  • Interviews
  • More
    • Yearly Top Tens

Brady Corbet’s Mysterious New Film is Titled ‘The Origin of the World’

January 29, 2026 Jordan Ruimy

Brady Corbet, the director behind “The Brutalist,” is in pre-production on his next film, which is set to shoot in Portugal and South Africa.

A production grid currently circulating lists the project under the title “The Origin of the World.” The film is aiming for a May/June start, which suggests a likely 2027 release.

Corbet plans to shoot his untitled Western in 70mm, and it will indeed be rated NC-17—or “X,” in his own words. However, while the film is “inspired” by the stylings of ’70s films such as “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” it will not be a horror movie. The story spans from the 19th century into the present day, though it is predominantly focused on the 1970s.

Corbet has said the film will tackle the Northern California economy and run approximately four hours in length. In another interview, he mentioned that it will once again explore the immigration process, this time from China to California. He is shooting the project on very rare eight-perf 65mm cameras.

Corbet previously revealed that the project will be “experimental, elemental … about the body,” adding to its ambition, the story reportedly spans “150 years.”

No casting or plot details have been revealed. There is also no word yet on who is backing the project, but don’t be surprised if Corbet’s ‘Brutalist’ studio, A24, returns for this one. Otherwise, Neon would likely jump at the opportunity if given the chance.

This will mark Corbet’s fourth feature following “The Childhood of a Leader,” “Vox Lux,” and “The Brutalist,” the latter of which earned 10 Oscar nominations and won three, including Best Actor (Adrien Brody), Best Cinematography (Lol Crawley), and Best Original Score (Daniel Blumberg).

← SS Rajamouli’s “VARANASI” Sets April 2027 IMAX Release Date FIRST LOOK: Paul Mescal, Barry Keoghan, Joseph Quinn, and Harris Dickinson in Sam Mendes’ ‘The Beatles’ →

FOLLOW US!

No results found

Trending

Featured
IMG_5398.jpeg
Warner Bros. Source Says ‘Horizon: Chapter 2’ Is “Frozen” With “No Plans” for Release
IMG_5393.jpeg
Mel Gibson’s ‘The Resurrection of the Christ’ Wraps Seven-Month Shoot With New DP Robrecht Heyvaert, $250M Budget
IMG_5374.jpeg
Is Steven Spielberg’s ‘Disclosure Day’ a Secret Sequel to ‘Close Encounters’?
IMG_5332.jpeg
Lynne Ramsay Says Joaquin Phoenix Arctic Epic ‘Polaris’ Is Her Next Film and Calls It Her ‘2001’

World of Reel RSS

Critics Polls

Featured
IMG_4965.jpeg
Fritz Lang’s ‘M’ Tops the Best Films of the 1930s, According to 100+ Critics
Capture.PNG
Critics Poll: ‘Citizen Kane' Named Best Film of the 1940s
Capture.PNG
Critics Poll: ‘Vertigo’ Named Best Film of the 1950s, Over 120 Participants
B16BAC21-5652-44F6-9E83-A1A5C5DF61D7.jpeg
Critics Poll: Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Tops Our 1960s Critics Poll
 

SEND NEWS TIPS

Summary Block
This block is invalid. Please check the block settings and try again.
Featured
Aenean eu leo Quam
World of Reel tagline.PNG
 

Content

Contribute

Hire me

 

Support

Advertise

Donate

 

About

Team

Contact

Privacy Policy

Site designed by Jordan Ruimy © 2025